Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Battle with Potassium and Lunch Schedules


I really hate bananas. I don't like the smell or the taste. Yet, I have a pretty bad potassium deficiency,  and needing to take supplements everyday to help me deal with the problems caused by this problem. Bananas, which everyone loves to tell me about when I mention I have a potassium deficiency, is a great source of potassium. Yes, I know this, but I hate bananas.

So here is my list of foods you can have to help your potassium levels when are like me and hate bananas...

  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Orange Juice
  • Beet Greens
  • Potatoes
  • White Beans
  • Dates
  • Yogurt
  • Tomatoes
  • Clams

I found the information here at The Daily Green with more links to different foods rich in certain vitamins.

Now other ways I have found to help this deficiency and the other vitamin deficiencies I am faced with was to have a more stable eating schedule. The most important time for me in my opinion was having lunch which was extremely unstable at the school I taught. Two days of the week I was scheduled to eat lunch at high noon, then two more days I would eat 10 am, and finally the last day of the week I was eating lunch at 10:45 am. Now it wasn't my choice when I got to eat lunch, it was scheduled for me. Without a proper lunch I was pretty strung out by the end of the work day and with a potassium deficiency here are the symptoms I had to deal with on a day to day basis.....(Yes, I was taking my medication every day consistently).


  • Muscle Cramps
  • Muscle Fatigue and Weakness
  • Irregular Heartbeat
  • Fatigue
  • Mental Confusion
  • Irritability
  • Abnormally Dry Skin
  • Insatiable Thirst
  • Chills
  • Depression
  • Nausea and Vomiting
  • Nervousness
  • Insomnia
  • Diarrhea
  • Low Blood Pressure
  • Periodic Headaches
  • Salt Retention
  • Constipation
  • High Cholesterol Levels
  • Glucose Intolerance
  • Impaired Growth
  • Edema
  • Extreme cases, cardiac arres
  • `So thinking back to my previous post as to why I went to into IOPT, it makes a lot of sense and I am beginning to see how everything played into everything else.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Don't drink the Kool-aid, post responsibly.